Monday, May 26, 2008

nostalgic inspiration


So, Kevin Ragsdale, SOU art student has a blog and he seems to be wrestling with the classical nazi style training vs. free wheeling fun house liberal arts style training. (Did I say that? tone it down a few degrees and that's what I meant to say.) Anyway I feel his paint. He did this great little still life that reveals love hate relationship with the classical realist resurgence. its so refreshing, and sarcastic, and serious. See Kevins link to the left. Technically it could be better, I guess that's the advantage of serious training, but the freedom of having fun and being expressive is really appealing. It makes me remember the fun parts of being in a wild art school.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Just had a conversation about expression vs. discipline with a teacher this morning as we were looking at all my paintings from this term. She's encouraging me to try being more expressive but I'm cautious about it. Still really want to work on that technical illustrative ability for my arsenal.

sarahfburns said...

You'll get there as long as you know where you want to go. You can be more expressive and learn more nuts and bolts stuff. Be conscious and clear and test everything.