Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Grateful Dead and all its associations

So first of all, I enjoy Saturday evening programming on my local public radio station. First is Craig Faulkner's Gourmet Oldies Show - very inspiring acutally. Then I have to reluctantly admit to loving the Grateful Dead Hour. It's painful having grown up in a sort of silly hippie town, with sort of hippie parents. It's one of those coming home again humbly moments. My mother was a gentle earthy lady, probably not a GD fan (please share your comments mom). And my dad wasn't a big GD fan persay, but he was a "folk" musician and when I hear the GD, I hear licks and bits that remind me of him. and he did take us to lots of vegetarian potlucks and deoderant free hairy legged dances etc. When I was young(er), I admired the punk older kids and was sort of counter culture, but NOT a hippie. I was such a little fool in my 9th grade art class when I loudly said "I hate the Grateful Dead!", not knowing we were listening to the Grateful Dead at that very moment. (therapy right here) It still pains me to like it, but I have to admit that Dire Wolf is a favorite song. Anyway I have a hard time tearing myself away when the Gourmet Oldies Show comes on and I listen until the GD hour tires itself out.... I can't help it - I grew up in the Pacific Northwest - this is my culture. I am what I am - I love it and hate it and I'm good enough, smart enough and doggone it......

Craig Faulkner's show is different, he plays popular tunes and old country blues from way back and into the 50's and 60's. I think you can only stream it online - no archives that I know of, but I recommend it highly. He's a local Ashland guy with unusually good taste.

1 comment:

Nance said...

We sometimes pull up American Rhythm here in Puebla! His themes are fun.

Re: Do you know "Ripple"? and what's the one that goes (something like) "In a bed, in a bed, by the waterside I will lay my head. Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul"...