Monday, September 29, 2008

To Bend

I went from Ashland, OR to Bend, OR and back last week. I dropped my husband off at the Medford International Airport at 5:30 am and drove until a breakfast stop at the Crater Lake Lodge. I had intended to paint in the park, but it was so freaking cold I couldn't do it. Here the elevation is so high that you are in the clouds when it's cloudy out. The sign says "Danger Keep Back". In the park, it's so lovely here. This photo shows the cloudiness.


7:30 am - And then it started to sprinkle, a cozy drive.


8:00 am turning onto hwy 97


I arrived in Bend a lot earlier than I'd expected, so at 10:30 or so I found an open field and painted the rabbit brush and pines of the high desert.





The purpose of my visit was to paint with the Plein Air Painters of Oregon. We met at the fish hatchery on the Metolius River, just northwest of Bend. I painted some bushes across a pond full of trout.






On the road again. Got my chips cashed in. Heading south, home again.
















Coming up on the Diamond Lake Junction.







lots of curves here.









and the clouds parted and the sun chips came out. terrible road food is a must.
































No comments: