Thursday, November 13, 2008

Two Paintings - Finished, or Almost Finished

So in my last entry I mentioned that all I've been doing during the cleanse has been working on two portraits. This week I finished or almost finished them both.

Here is a portrait of Lila. I really struggled with this portrait. It's tighter than I usually work, but I felt compelled to work that way. I'm still working out technical issues with paint - testing and experimenting with properties of oil paint, and I'm learning more of what I can do with it. It's a lifetime of effort, but I'm still in artistic infancy, so I'm changing alot these days.



And this is a picture of Honey - this is still unfinished. This is the type of work I'm drawn to - I'm interested in implying a setting in my figurative and portrait work. I'm implying a theme of quiet longing too. I'm trying to drawn out that unsettledness that's present in most of us and is constant and informs our life but doesn't seem to affect us much. I have no idea if that comes across. Quiet and pleasant but aware of the slight grating feeling. I am probably mirroring myself onto the page - what do you see? I'm sure it's all very Freudian and so watch out - what you see is what you are. (Ha Ha - I just realized my self portrait is leaning up next to Honey.)



3 comments:

Nance said...

Well, okay, bear with me. Is it coffee in the mug? That always accounts for a "constant...unsettledness" in me. So is that Freudian?

Seriously though, the painting of Honey reflects a pleasant contemplativeness that I like.

Nance said...

Ugh, I'd take back my Sounds Like Health Nut - Preachy comment, if I could. It was meant to be funny, but...on analysis...

sarahfburns said...

You sound like me - I'm always questioning things I write. But I thought your comment about coffee was very funny. I know how you battle. And, by the way, I'm the biggest health nut zealot since I've solved all the world's problems with my new cleanse!