Thursday, December 11, 2008

100 Years of Vogue and Some Syrup

I thought I'd share the preliminary sketch I started with when setting Honey up for the last big painting I finished. One thing I'm noticing about myself is that I crop my preliminary drawings in close and then I tend to back up and take a little more surroundings in for the painting. I don't know why that is. (It really doesn't matter, just interesting.)


One Hundred Years of Vogue

And here's the syrup for Nancy, who thought I looked like a Bouguereau painting. Sticky, sickeningly sweet! Feel sorry for the poor, big eyed peasant girl. I used to be a fan of Bouguereau, when I first discovered him, I was impressed by his skill, but it didn't take long for that to wear off, and now I find his work so irritating. I also harbor an unhealthy hatred for the website that I linked to for the bouguereau images.

This is kind of an embarassing picture. My friend Michelle and I were goofing off in the studio. She is into photography without smiling and was trying to bring something soulful out in me. This is what came out. A little sappy and emo. Oh well, I just refuse to be too deep. Been there, done that, it's not all it's cut out to be. I have to be caught unaware, too. I can't pose for a picture, I just freeze up inside. (Yikes, feel sorry for me too! I'm a cranky downer.)





5 comments:

Tracy said...

Love the feel of the drawing!

I think that is a very nice picture of you, although I can't really compare it to how you look irl. But you do look soulful, and also young and dewy....

I used to be dewy. Sigh.

sarahfburns said...

I saw your picture - you're dewy! The dew is beginning to dry on me, as well. I just realized this year that I'm not going to get younger! Shocking.

Tracy said...

Thanks, but that is called "photoshop dewy":)) Crazy lighting helps too.

Yes, it is a bit surreal to realize that one gets older and stuff will start hitting the floor.

Nance said...

Oh, dear, Bouguereau was an insult, eh? Baring your soles is not your style...

sarahfburns said...

I'm a little embarrassed to look like a Bouguereau girl - I'm coming to terms with it - denial, anger grief acceptance? Just joking, there are worse things. I had hoped to come out of that photo shoot with some pictures to use for teaching classes at the Rogue Gallery - Somehow it just doesn't read as a confident leader - someone you can learn from. Bouguereau girls look like someone you need to take care of.