Friday, February 27, 2009

Mentor for Teens

I am part of a program at Rogue Gallery where they pair working artists with interested teens. They had a record number of teen applicants this year, and so they were selective as to who would be involved - and it shows.

I'm working with two high school seniors, James and Courtney. They are adorably hard working. It's been lots of fun. I have a system of teaching worked out over several years of working with beginners. It's based on the education I had, and also the book The Practice and Science of Drawing by Harold Speed.

Anyway, we started out drawing, studying form. We have very little time for this project, so we just covered some basics. I really wanted them to get to some tonal work and painting. These photos are from our second day painting.

Courtney, Me, James


Courtney


James

Me. (They're doing so well, I have to offer excuses. I just did a quick example to show them what I wanted them to look for. I spent most of our session ordering frames online. )



3 comments:

Nance said...

Sarah, this makes me want to take lessons from you! You have such a lot to give your students. And you are enjoying it, too...yay!

Harry Stooshinoff, said...

Excellent teaching idea for upper years! Hope you don't mind, but I'll link your blog to mine so my students can see. Excellent paintings here, and I love your music choices. -Harry

http://harrystooshinoff.blogspot.com

sarahfburns said...

Harry - Thanks for the link! I adore your paintings - I didn't know you blogged, I'll link to you too.