Monday, July 20, 2009

Pink Roses for a Pink Lady

Here is my latest flower portrait. - a comissioned work. It's not what I would have chosen to make on my own, much girlier than my comfort zone allows, YET - it's my favorite flower painting to date AND making it felt very, very authentic, I felt as if I'd tapped into a groove that felt very ME. I've been searching for my groove, what feels really right is the almost cartoony quality. (What I wish I hadn't done is add the flower on the bottom, petals only would have been perfect, but I don't want to risk disaster by reworking it further, I went against my better judgement to add the flower, so I'm learning a lesson). Anyway, something about this painting admires my favorite painters who lean toward illustration - Maynard Dixon, Fairfield Porter. We'll see where things go next...

3 comments:

Shelley Bittick said...

Wow, beautiful!! Love the pinks and the one white flower adds a little mystery.

Lisa McShane said...

I think you've done a great job! I was just working on a small oil of one deeply cupped rose...
I especially think you've totally captured the falling apart deeper pink flower that's just over the edge of the vase. Wonderful!

sarahfburns said...

thanks ladies!